Newsletter Winter 2016
Welcome to Academy of Sound's Winter 2016 Newsletter!We have enough to share that starting next year Academy of Sound is going to be putting out a new newsletter each and every month. Look forward to reading our newsletter more often to keep up on Academy of Sound News!
Stay subscribed to this newsletter and our Facebook Page to get all the latest.
- Academy of Sound's Holiday Recital was on Sunday, December
18th. Order your color, printed DVDs by contacting
Please note how many copies ($14 per copy) you would like to
purchase and your phone number. Make checks payable to “Oregon
- Adam Chisman has signed on to be the (interim) Managing Director at Academy of Sound. Adam will be managing our offices, faculty, programs, and email & phone communications. Please direct any questions or comments to him.
- As you consider year-end giving, please take a look at Academy of Sound Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)3 charity that provides scholarships for private music study in our community. Everyone involved with the organization is a volunteer, so your contributions have a direct effect on scholarship awardees. ALL DONATIONS ARE 100% TAX DEDUCTIBLE
- Academy of Sound continues to operate inside First
Presbyterian Church, at 408 N. Bergamont Blvd. in Oregon.
- Shop at smile.amazon.com
and select Academy of Sound Foundation as your charity of choice,
Save the Date!
- 12/23/2016 – 01/03/2017: Academy of Sound Closed
- 01/08/2017 – 01/14/2017: 1st Semester
- 03/11/2017 – 03/12/2017: District
Solo & Ensemble @ Verona Area High School
- 04/29/2017: State Solo & Ensemble @ UW Platteville
- 05/13/2017: Spring
- 05/21/2017 – 05/25/2017 & 06/02/2017 – 06/03/2017:
Semester Conference Lessons
Featured Student: Jeremy Storlie
|Jeremy Storlie on the AOS student drum set|
Adam: Hello! I wanted to do something a little different than the bullet point Q&A that we have done in the past. Thanks for letting me interview you! ... Alright, What grade are you in?
Jeremy: 8th grade.
Adam: 8th grade. that is a good year. do you have any favorite subjects in school?
Rojo: Maybe because of all the counting you do here (in lessons). Counting to four over and over again!
Adam: Do you have any other hobbies outside of school?
Jeremy: No, I mean, Drums and sports like basketball.
Adam: Cool. That also starts in on my next question: What instruments do you play and why?
Jeremy: Drums, because I think they are cool and they are interesting to me
Adam: Do you have any favorite drummers?
Jeremy: Well I have a lot.. like Rojo[laughs], and I watched a concert of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and it was kind of cool seeing the drummer.
Adam: One of the things the person that nominated you to be featured student noted was your excellent practicing habits... Do you have any practice tips for any other students that might read this newsletter?
Jeremy: Oh, well if you get kind of bored or frustrated with a song you are working on, maybe try playing a different song to cool down and then come back to it.
Adam: That is good advice! One last kind of random question for you. While Michael (one of our teachers) and I were thinking of questions to ask for an interview we thought this one was kind of funny. What is your favorite breakfast cereal?
Jeremy: [laughs]Cocoa Dyno Bites I guess!
Many thanks to Jeremy for letting me interview him for this newsletter! I hope all our readers know him a little better!
AOS TipsIf you would like the official sheet music for popular songs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can have it ready for you by your next lesson! Please allow three days for shipping.
Meet Bridget Schwefel, Our New Voice Teacher
Did You Know?
A short, but interesting read for all caregivers of musicians.
- Academy of Sound supported the “Once Upon a Mattress” play put on by Oregon High School November 11 - 13. We had four of our current AOS students, and too many alumni to count. Congratulations to all on an excellent production!
- Sonatina Festival at Rhapsody Arts in Verona was a big hit. We had four attending students and their scores were as follows:
- Jack Higgins: 4 out of 5
- Barrett Anderson: 4 out of 5
- Paige Stevenson: 4- out of 5
- Charlotte Hendrickson: 5 out of 5!
- Academy of Sound's newest teachers Bridget and Irene received
a shout-out in the “Biz Briefs” section (page 8) of the December
15, 2016 edition of the Oregon Observer
- Academy of Sound had it's Holiday Recital on December 18, and
was well attended despite an unexpected reschedule due to the winter storm.
- All of our recitals are now opt-in only. Sign-ups are done
via the Parent
Portal. Signing up for a recital or concert is easy -- just like signing
up for a class!
- Makeup lessons will be handled via group workshops (May 30 - June 1).
Remember:Always contact the AOS office (instead of private teachers) with scheduling questions and updates.
Call 608-371-9030 or write email@example.com to report absences.
For More:Read the WELCOME LETTER (click here) for all 2016-17 policy announcements.
Read the full Academy of Sound 2016-2017 Policy
Thanks for readingThat's all for this edition. If you'd like to suggest a story, or nominate a Featured Student, write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, we will see you at your lesson!
WRITE A REVIEW on Facebook -- Tell us how we're doing!